Chicago, IL – Prosecutors have reportedly dropped all charges against Jussie Smollett.
According to CNN, the disgraced Empire actor was in a Chicago courtroom on Tuesday morning (March 26) when the judge handed down his decision. It demonstrates a stark contrast from just a couple of months ago when he was accused of staging his own hate crime.
Smollett’s attorneys Tina Glandian and Patricia Brown Holmes released a statement explaining how prosecutors got to this decision. They believe it was simply a case of jumping to conclusions.
“He was a victim who was vilified and made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public, causing an inappropriate rush to judgment,” the statement reads.
The Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office said dropping the charges is “a just disposition and appropriate resolution.”
“After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollett’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case,” the state’s attorney’s office said.
Jussie Smollett: “I want you to know that not for a moment was it in vain. I’ve been truthful and consistent on every single level since day one.” https://t.co/87KXvN5piM pic.twitter.com/5cj73oyOOm
— CNN (@CNN) March 26, 2019
Earlier this month, a grand jury indicted Smollett on 16 felony counts stemming from the January attack. He pleaded not guilty and has maintained his innocence.
“This entire situation is a reminder that there should never be an attempt to prove a case in the court of public opinion,” the statement reads. “That is wrong. It is a reminder that a victim, in this case Jussie, deserves dignity and respect. Dismissal of charges against the victim in this case was the only just result.
“Jussie is relieved to have this situation behind him and is very much looking forward to getting back to focusing on his family, friends and career.”